Security Mechanisms is basically used to implement security services. They included(X.800):
Specific Security Mechanisms
May be incorporated into the appropriate protocol layer in order to provide some of the OSI security services.
Specific Security Mechanism are as follows
- Algorithms based on mathematics are used to convert data into a form that is not easily comprehensible.
- The conversion and recovery of data depends on these algorithm and also on encryption keys.
- Digital Signature
- Cryptographic alteration of data allows receiver of the message to prove the source and integrity of message and guard against counterfeit attacks.
- Access Control
- Kinds of mechanism which determines who should be able to access what resources.
- Data Integrity
- Kinds of mechanism used to maintain the originality of data or to keep data intact till it reaches destination.
- Authentication Exchange
- Kinds of mechanisms used to ensure originality of user by means of information exchange.
- Traffic Padding
- Appending of data bits into gaps of a data flow to prevent traffic analysis attempts.
- Routing Control
- Allows selecting secure route for confident data and also enables routing modifications when violation to security suspected.
- To guarantee particular features of data exchange, trusted third party is used.
Pervasive Security Mechanism
Mechanism that are specific to any particular OSI security service or protocol layer.
Pervasive security mechanisms are as follows:
- Trusted Functionality
- It is appeared to be correct regarding some criteria.
- Security Label
- The indicator to s resource which specifies security attributes of this resources.
- Event Detection
- Discovering security related events.
- Security Audit Trail
- A security audit to review and observe system activities and records is performed on collected data.
- Security Recovery
- Deals with various request sent by other mechanisms like function management, event performance etc. and takes necessary recovery actions.